Thursday, August 29, 2019

While We Bicker


I don’t like joining things. I am not a joiner. My wife convinced me to join a gym a while back, and as a form of silent protest, I’ve never gone. Not once. It’s not a recent thing. I’ve always been this way. Even while growing up in a less than genteel neighborhood in Southern California, when I refused to get jumped into one of the two local gangs, even though it meant getting harassed by both of them.

I was a teenager, so it wasn’t so much the moral objections that kept me from joining, it’s just that I didn’t like the idea of joining anything, be it a gang, or a book club.

When you start to think about it, however, pretty much everyone is segmented into groups, cliques, gangs, or tribes. Whether it’s fans of certain sports teams or vegans versus carnivores, folks who drive diesel and those who drive gas, being part of one group or another has become inevitable.

When we bring it around to the spiritual, there are those of the light, and then there are those of the dark; Two distinct groups, in stark contrast, and at odds with each other. This is natural, normal, and not something I have an issue with. Having mulled this over for some time this morning, I think my bone of contention is the splintered groups within what ought to be one solid, resolute, well-purposed, and energized army of light.

Yes, within any army you have regiments, battalions, brigades, and divisions, but they all have one well-defined common enemy. They all receive the same marching orders, show up on the same battlefield, and face the same way. They do not make war among themselves, while the true enemy marches ever onward. The 8th division doesn’t try to take out the 6th, and the 6th doesn’t try to take out the 12th.

Wouldn’t it be a sight if when you showed up for battle, the opposing army just started fighting among itself? All you’d have to do is watch as they exhaust themselves, get battered, bruised, wounded, and wearied, then ride in to finish off those who are still standing.

While we bicker amongst ourselves like over-indulged children, souls are still perishing. While we attempt to assert dominance over our fellow brothers in arms, the darkness is still advancing. While we attempt to throw down the gauntlet and insist that everyone pick a side, join a team, or form a clique, the devil’s minions are single-minded in their desire to annihilate Christianity altogether.

Before anyone else asks, I’ve already picked a side, and I picked it long ago when I surrendered my life and pledged my fealty to Him.

This isn’t Twilight, we are not pubescent teenage girls, and I don’t have to declare if I’m team Edward or team Jacob. I’m team Jesus. If you are anything other than team Jesus, I fear there’s a world of hurt on the horizon for you.

I’ve been in ministry for over thirty years. I’ve seen it all, and then some. I’ve seen people appropriate words of prophecy, I’ve seen people plagiarize my writings, I’ve seen others monetize what we offer for free, and through it all the word of Jesus echoes in my ears: “Whoever is not against us is for us!”

One day there will be a reckoning, and we will all stand before the God of all things, to answer for what we did, what we didn’t do, the spirit in which we did it, and the intent with which it was done. All men are accountable for their own actions, just as I am accountable for mine.

Clean hands, pure heart, clear purpose, and faithful execution; these are the things I can strive for daily, and the things for which God will call me to account if I fall short. 

With love in Christ,
Michael Boldea Jr.

No comments: